Sunday, December 16, 2012

"Recycled" Gift Wrap for the Holidays

Christmas is a week away, and my thoughts have been consumed with the presentation of my gifts. I'm sure once I have kids of my own the last thing on my mind will be color-coordinate my gift wrappings, but for the time being- I'm doing it!

This picture of simple, recycled gift wrapping on the cover of the Gaiam Holiday 2012 magazine inspired me to make my own "recycled" gift-wrap.



I looked into ordering some recycled wrapping paper and common sense lead me to believe that wrapping paper made from recycled materials would be cheaper than regular wrapping paper. Boy was I wrong. My creative juices began flowing and I came up with a way to wrap ALL 30 Christmas gifts for only $12! Here is how I did it:
Floor Protection Paper from Lowes for $4
I purchased brown floor protection paper from Lowes. The roll I purchased was 180 feet long and only cost $4. This gives the gift wrap a recycled look, for way less. (And will last for next year's gifts as well- I didn't even get close to using it all up!)
I purchased some glitter ribbon from the dollar store and used this to wrap the present. Then, I went to the craft store. Pre-made bows were $5 each and I needed quite a few-not happening! I went back to the dollar store, and purchased 6 rolls of ribbon for a dollar each and made my own bows. Here is how you do it:

1. Wrap the ribbon around your fingers 4-6 times.
2. Pinch the ribbon in the middle. 
3. Cut another piece of ribbon about 8 inches long.
Use this ribbon to tie a knot around the middle of your looped ribbon.
Tighten the knot.
4. There should be 4-6 loops on each side of the knot.
(Depending on how many times you wrapped it around your hand.)
Gently pull each loop and separate it from the rest.
Keep doing this to all 8 loops until the bow looks full.
5. Use the ends of the 8 inch piece of ribbon to tie a knot
around the glitter ribbon and secure it to the gift.
Mix and match different colors and textured ribbon!
Although making each ribbon is time consuming, it is well worth it for the beautiful outcome. Your closest family and friends deserve a gift with your own personal touch!


No comments:

Post a Comment