Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Two-Tone Dresser Makeover

So my husband and I recently purchased a new house, and coming from a small condo, that means only one thing... more furniture! I hit the master bedroom furniture jackpot at a garage sale; a horizontal dresser with mirror, a vertical dresser, 2 end tables, king size bed frame with headboard and foot board, and a TV hutch for $450. Hello, bargain! The wood was on the lighter end, and really didn't fit with what I had in mind for the bedroom, so a makeover was calling. Here is what the furniture looked like before:


Here is what I did to turn these boring pieces of furniture into these beautiful babies:




Here is what you need:

Power Sander (optional- but SO worth it!)
Sanding block or sand paper
White, unsanded grout
Latex paint color for dresser
Latex paint color for top of dresser
Mixing bucket
Cup of water
Paint Stirrer
Cheese Cloth
Finishing Wax- I use Minwax
Blue painter's tape
Polycrylic Polyurethane- I use Minwax

First, you need to remove the drawers from the dresser and the hardware. Tape off the top of the dresser, so that you do not paint the portion of the dresser top that will be a different color. 


Next, you need to prep for paint by sanding the furniture. The best purchase I have ever made is my Mouse sander. It makes any project that much easier. I highly recommend you get one, even if you only use it once, it's worth the $35!



I make my own chalk paint (Annie Sloan is awesome but way too expensive for my DIY budget). Because I use chalk paint, technically I do not have to sand the surface of the furniture, but I find that the paint lasts longer and looks so much better when it has a clean surface to adhere to. 

Now we are ready to paint. Here is my easy, DIY chalk paint "recipe." In a separate mixing bucket (I usually use quart size) mix about two tablespoons (or 1 large scoop with a paint stirrer, shown below) of unsanded white grout with about 1 tablespoon of WARM water. Mix it all up, and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then mix in 3/4 quart of the paint color of your choice, I used Valspar's Churchill Navajo White in eggshell finish. It's an off white, ivory-ish color which looks very elegant. Mix it very well and start painting right away. The longer you wait, the stiffer the paint will get. Use a regular angled paintbrush that you would use when painting trim or corners of walls. 


Paint two coats, waiting for the first coat to dry completely before applying the second. In between coats, you can paint the drawers. 


Then after the second coat is dry, tape off the bottom part of the dresser to get ready to paint the top. For the top of my furniture, I used Valspar's Roasted Coffee in eggshell finish. Follow the exact same steps for the top of the dresser. You will need substantially less paint for the top, so I suggest cutting the chalk paint recipe in half. 

Let the paint COMPLETELY dry. Then you can apply the wax coating the the bottom portion of the dresser. This will create a protective coat on the dresser because the chalk paint will chip very easily if you do not apply the wax. Make sure you wear gloves, you don't want this stuff on your hands! Use a cheesecloth and dip into the wax, spreading a thin coat on all surfaces. 


Last step! Apply a thin coat of the polyurethane to the top of the dresser with a paintbrush. You can wax the top, but because it usually is subject to a little more wear and tear, I suggest using the poly. This will ensure a nice, protective, glossy surface. Just make sure you get clear finish, unless you want a little tint. 

If you want- take a sanding block and rough up any detail pieces or edges to create a shabby chic look!



Once you get all these materials, you can use them over and over. It's worth it to have all your upcycled furniture looking this good!!




1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I'm obsessed with your long dresser!! I love the separation detail below the top row of drawers.
    I was pretty set on staining my dresser top, but I really like the finish you got with the paint and poly. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete